Monday 28 November 2011

Thing 23: The end of the cpd23 road

Well, I've finally made it to the final thing of cpd23 and I'm amazed how far I've come. The programme has been interesting, enjoyable and engaging, even if making time for cpd has been more challenging. Although I'm not using many of the tools we had to explore I'm blogging and will try to keep it up to record the progress of my Chartership, tweeting (if rather intermittently) and have gone along to some events and met some fantastic people. Although my network is only small at the moment I'm certainly not the Disconnected Librarian I was.


Ok, maybe taking over the world is thinking a little too big!

Surachai, freedigitalphotos.net
For the final thing we were asked to put together a personal development plan. At the recent CILIP Career Development Group conference in Bristol David Clover spoke about thinking big and expressed the importance of having a personal development plan separate to your work appraisal - after all your career aspirations beyond your current role and organisation are unlikely to be of interest to your current employer. I couldn't agree more and have already started putting together my PPDP for Chartership with this advice in mind. I'm however guilty of not really thinking big enough. Part of the problem is I haven't really pinned down where I would like my career to go in the future and do need to think about this more. I love Niamh's tip from the cpd23 post of looking at the requirements of the next job you are aiming for to help identify your skills gaps and will be looking through some old job adverts for inspiration.

So where next? cpd23 has provided an excellent way of getting to explore different "things." Without it I wouldn't have come across things such as Evernote or Prezi, but now is the time to crack on with my Chartership and think about my needs and skills gaps.

Thanks to all at cpd23, it's been a great way to kick of my continuing professional development.

No comments:

Post a Comment