Thursday 3 November 2011

Library Routes and Roots

This is a post for The Library Routes Project, a wiki set up to provide links to tales of how and why people got into the library profession (library roots) and the path their career has taken so far (library routes). 


My Library Roots


Growing up I never thought of Librarianship as a career. I always wanted to be a solicitor or a barrister, but in the final year of my law degree I decided it wasn't for me. 

I worked part time in the travel industry whilst at uni and was lucky enough to get a full time management post on completion of my law degree. It was only a stop gap until I worked out what I really wanted to do, however a year later I'd still not worked out what that was. I took a career break and started going to my local library to use the internet. Penniless and with a mortgage to pay I realised I needed to get back into work even if I hadn't found the perfect career. All the time spent in my local library made me think that a library would be a great place to work. 


My Library Route


I ended up working as library assistant in a Gloucestershire library and was hooked. I finally felt I was doing something enjoyable and worthwhile. I loved the children's summer reading challenge, organising storytimes and even managed to overcome my fear of signing in pubic and ran weekly baby bounce and rhyme sessions.

A few years on I was looking for a change of scenery and soon learnt that an Information and Library Management Masters would open up my career options. I realised that I might even be able to make use of my law degree in a commercial library. I applied for the course at the University of the West of England and continued to work almost full time throughout the one year course. Many sleepless nights later (there's nothing like leaving assignments to the last minute), I swore I'd never go back to uni again, never.

Whilst finishing my dissertation a post came up in Bristol at a commercial property firm, whilst not law I knew it was going to be hard to find a commercial library job in the South West. I applied and convinced my now manager to give me a chance, although I wasn't yet qualified and had no experience in a business library. 4 years and a promotion later I'm still there. I love it. No two days are the same and the variety of enquiries we receive help keep it interesting. Working in a small team I get to do a bit of everything; cataloguing, enquiry work, subscription management, current awareness etc. I probably should have moved on by now, however the jobs just haven't been there. So long as I'm still developing and I'm enjoying my job I can bide my time until a really exciting opportunity arises.

No comments:

Post a Comment