Friday 25 November 2011

Thing 22: Volunteering to get experience

Thing 22 of cpd23 is about volunteering to gain practical work experience. 

When I sought my first professional library post I already had experience of working in a public library and had worked as a Health Information Advisor at NHS Direct. Whilst the later wasn't a library role it provided invaluable experience of answering enquiries and I'm sure it helped me get my first professional post which came along whilst I was finishing my dissertation. I've therefore never found myself in the vicious circle of needing experience to get a job and not being able to get experience without one - I know I was very fortunate.

Whilst I've not done any voluntary work as yet I'm keen to in the future. Working in a commercial library has allowed me to have a go at everything from cataloguing to subscription management, however there are gaps in my skills that would make it difficult for me to change sectors. I think voluntary work would be a great way to develop skills and gain experience beyond what I can do in my current role. It would also provide insight into other sectors (vital for Chartership) and allow me to make new contacts. 

Volunteering can fill skills gaps

Working full time however doesn't make voluntary work that easy to do. Instead I'm planning a few library visits which will at least allow me to meet new people and see what skills/experience is needed in other sectors.

In the new year I would like to get involved with either my CILIP branch or one of the groups. Depending on what opportunities are available, volunteering could prove useful in developing my transferable skills. 

In the cpd23 post Jo mentions that another advantage of volunteering is to "get a foot in the door". In such a difficult job market it can only be a good thing to have a large network of people that know you can do a good job. This alone provides a good enough reason to take up a voluntary post.

I couldn't agree more though that volunteering needs to be mutually beneficial to both the volunteer and the organisation. We'll soon be taking on an intern and although it's a paid post the same principals apply. They will provide us with a much needed extra pair of hands and in return we're hoping to provide them with some valuable experience - it will also provide me with some managerial experience. Fingers crossed it should be good all round. 

No comments:

Post a Comment