Sunday 14 August 2011

Thing 11: Mentoring

Thing 11 of cpd23 is all about the importance of having a good mentor and the qualities of a good mentee.

It's on my to-do-list to find a suitable mentor to guide me through the Chartership process; I'll therefore keep this short and post again when I've found someone.

Away from the formal mentor required for Chartership I'm lucky enough to have a supportive boss who takes a keen interest in my development. She understands how isolated you can feel working in a commercial library and has recently suggested I become involved with our local CILIP branch. Without this support I really would feel like I was just doing another job and not part of a profession at all.

Positives aside I think it's advisable to remember (however good your workplace relationships are) that there are always politics at play. I therefore think it's important to have an outsider who you can talk to. At the moment my other half fulfils this role and of course always will do in terms of big life changing decisions. I'm however lacking someone who can objectively advise on my development and the finer detail. Hopefully my Chartership mentor will fill this void.

No comments:

Post a Comment