Friday 22 July 2011

Thing 5: Reflective Practice

Thing 5 of cpd23 was all about reflective practice. Having just started the Chartership process, which amongst other things requires you to demonstrate an ability to reflect on personal performance, I really need reflective practice to become my new best friend.

Reflective practice is all about evaluating experiences, learning from them and applying what you've learnt. I'd like to think I do this in my everyday work, however without putting pen to paper, I can't be sure, especially when it comes to personal/professional development rather than work projects. Sure I evaluate, but I don't always get around to putting my thoughts into practice.

So, now is the time to formalise the approach I take. The Plan-Do-Review model is the one I'm most familiar with, however as I need to record my thoughts the approach I'll take will be more along these lines of:
  • Recall/describe what happened

  • Evaluate - what I learnt, what went well, what didn't go so well, what could be done better in the future etc.

  • Outcome - explain what actions I took as a result of my reflection

Elaine Andrew's post, detailing a reflective writing course she attended made me realise how important the last part of the process is, after all, this is the bit that shows you are developing and learning from your experiences. One of the other tips she shares, which I think is really useful, is to reflect quickly to capture your gut reaction.

Elaine points out that the only way to fail at reflective practice is to do nothing. So, all I need to do now is reflect and take action. Why does that sound so simple?!

No comments:

Post a Comment